Saturday 21 January 2017

Infinity: XCOM Marauder TO-DONE!


"Won’t even know what hit ‘em."


Hi folks,

I snapped the drill bit of my pin vice this afternoon, so most of the work I was doing has been put on hold. Curses!

To make myself feel better, I completed a test miniature for the Marauder models in my XCOM themed USAriadna army. If you don't know what XCOM is, then I don't know if we can be friends anymore...






Seriously though, UFO: Enemy Unknown was my favourite game as a teenager and that is a BIG call. We were all playing Doom, TIE Fighter and Mechwarrior around the same time, but the unique combination of alien mythology, turn-based strategy, real-time strategy, character progression, economics, exploration, base construction and resource management made this game an absolute killer. It was one of those games that left you with stories to tell at school the next day. Thankfully, the recent reboot did the game justice, all the way down to the soldiers who can't hit the side of a barn with a fist full of grain.






When I was introduced to Infinity for the first time, I thought about XCOM straight away. It was probably all the reaction shots I was soaking up! When Sgt Waz deposited a big box of USAriadna on me, my fate was sealed. I'll be creating a special homage to my favourite game by painting my Infinity figures as members of XCOM. Here's a pic I found on the net that gives you a good (cute?) idea of the various components of the paint scheme:






The Marauders are in between Grunts and Minutemen in the Ariadna list, when it comes to infantry. It made sense to paint them as if they were in Personal Armour. I will be painting my Grunts as Rookies and my Minutemen as Power Suits. The last scheme (Flying Suits) will be reserved for special occasions. I also have a few Traktor MULs to represent the robotic tanks you used to get and a Devil Dog team, because nothing screams XCOM like dubious alliances with aliens ("X-rays").

 

"Check your position. Rocket off course."


Next job: buy a new drill bit for my pin vice! I have so many 40K projects rolling at the moment, that all involve conversion work. This, however, has been a fun interlude :-)

See you across the table,

M4cr0



No comments:

Post a Comment