Saturday 23 January 2016

Salamanders Chaplain: TO-DONE!




Hi folks,

For Christmas this year I decided to paint some models for my mates. After my dog Gypsy had her operation early in December we were pretty wiped out financially, so I fell back on the only commodity that I had left; time. Well, also a very, very deep bits box...

Sgt Waz and I have been discussing how I could paint something for him for a while now. I have often received beautifully painted miniatures from him, so the idea of giving something back struck a chord with me. Having said that, painting something for Sgt Waz is like giving Mozart your mix-tape! So, here is my mix-tape: a Salamanders Chaplain armed with a Crozius Arcanum and the Heraclean Maul.




Now a Power Maul is a pretty silly thing to give a Chaplain, in that the Crozius has identical stats, so I have cooked up some house rules for it which allow the Chaplain to perform Smash attacks, at the risk of it getting hot: I'm sure a Salamander can handle a bit of heat! On the topic of heat, the purity seals in the next shot are painted grey and black at the tips to show they are being scorched by the lava.




The Power Maul comes from the Ravenwing command sprue and looks a lot like the weapon Hercules (Heracles in Greek) is depicted with in many sculptures in Europe, hence the name Heraclean Maul. Here's one I took on a holiday in Rome:




Considering the Greek origin of the weapon, perhaps this could be a gift from the Iron Snakes to a courageous Chaplain of the Salamanders on the dawn of some great battle...




I added a little bit of carbon scoring to the jump pack exhaust, using sepia and black glazes.




I painted the... loin cloth?... with a dragon scale motif. Originally I was just going to paint it off-white like the purity seals, but there is something about that shade of green that just screams Salamanders. I'm glad I did it now, but at the time it was just another rod for my own back.




I undercoated the base black but built up the colour on the lava pool very gradually to achieve some brightness, all the way from dark gray to bright yellow. After that I touched up the "obsidian" rocks with black then highlighted with leadbelchers. The metallic highlight gives some very harsh edges.






So that's it: Merry Christmas Sgt Waz! Sorry it is 4 weeks late, it turns out I didn't have that much time in the bank either :-)

As a "Paint my Present" project, it also falls under the fearful auspices of my 2015/16 To-Do list.

Drum roll...


See you across the table,

M4cr0


No comments:

Post a Comment